Saturday, March 6, 2010

Pop Art: From my personal stash

Looking through the handful of sketches I own, there aren't a lot of conventional pieces. Sure, there are a few (Kyle Baker's drawing of The Shadow, for instance) but I don't have a lot of superhero art drawn by regular superhero artists.

The one above is among the lot I'd call typical of my collection: Superman, by Georges Jeanty.

Now, the request was for a sketch of Christoper Reeve as Superman. Likenesses are very difficult to do, and I've even had some professional artists pass on some requests because they don't trust their abilities to capture someone's likeness.

So I wasn't surprised - or even disappointed - when a convention sketch didn't look like Reeve's spitting image. What's funny is that Jeanty has spent a lot of time over the last few years drawing Buffy the Vampire Slayer for Dark Horse. It's not my imagination that his sketch of Superman looks a little like Xander, is it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...