Saturday, March 20, 2010

Rocky Horror: The Game


The Commodore 64 was one of the greatest home computers ever. Even though game play has grown more sophisticated over the years, I don't think I've ever enjoyed a game system or PC quite as much at the old C64.

I'm not sure what was going on with the home computer market in those days. While it was certainly limited (I can't believe C64 sales were even a quarter of the Nintendo Entertainment System) there was a shocking array of games made for it. Such as Danger Mouse, The Evil Dead, two Aliens games and even one based on the Paul McCartney movie Give My Regards to Broad Street.

Also among the oddities was a game based on The Rocky Horror Show (sans Picture.) The game followed pretty close to the story of thestage play and movie. At least, I assumed it did ... I never beat the bastard thanks to that asshole Eddie, who rocketed his motorcycle across the screen at inopportune times and ended many a game. It's been 20+ years since I played the game and I still hold a grudge.

Adding to the game's complications were Magenta and Columbia, who would steal your clothes if you touched them. Hands covering your shame (so to speak) you'd have to locate your clothes before you could continue the game ... but Eddie'd probably get you no matter what you did, so why bother? Everything I know about nihilism I learned from the Rocky Horror game.

I don't remember how I came across the game but I didn't buy it (I don't remember ever seeing it in store, either.) I was part of a fairly elaborate network of game pirates at the time, guys who used charming nicknames like Dr. Abortion. My handle, not surprisingly, was Creepshow.


Addendum: It looks like I might have another chance to see Rocky Horror with an actual audience. More on that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...