Monday, September 13, 2010

GEEKGASM: $1.6 million hover bed


And you thought your memory foam mattress was cool: here's a non-degrading magnetic support system for the kind of sleeping platform usually seen in Star Trek. In the video below, architect Janjaap Ruijssenaars explains that the platform is strong enough to support 900 kilograms (almost 2,000 pounds.)
"You could show a new car op top of it ... or use it as a dining table or a bed," he says.

Steel, plastic and air are layered (somehow) to keep the magnetic fields above the bed at almost zero, but Ruijssenaars doesn't recommend taking a nap on the thing if you've got body piercings.

If I could afford this bed, I'd also install a surround system programmed to play Also sprach Zarathustra at daybreak every morning. And if I could afford all of that, I'd probably insist on keeping no less than 5 and no more than 12 trained chimps on hand just to remind me of my perilous position at the top of the evolutionary ladder. And because chimps are funny.

Via.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...