Monday, June 7, 2010

Pop Art: Muad'Dib by Tom Scioli


 I didn't have many plans for the HeroesCon in Charlotte, N.C., last weekend. I knew I wanted to ask Guy Davis to add a sketch to my Sandman Mystery Theater page, but I also wanted to commission a sketch of Dune's Paul Atreides/Muad'Dib from Tom Scioli.

Scioli is the artist on Godland, which is an homage to Jack Kirby's bronze age "big ideas" books. If you haven't read it, check it out ... it's a blast. (He also has a creator-owned property called The Myth of 8-Opus which you can read about here.)

After getting a small pencil sketch of Omega the Unknown from Scioli last year, it occurred to me that his Kirby-drenched style would be an interesting match with Dune. I caught him with a free hour on Sunday and he drew the image you see above, which is based on designs from the David Lynch movie. To your left is a photo of him working on the piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...