Thursday, June 10, 2010

Did we learn nothing from Kick-Ass?


 I have to admit: I'm torn between openly mocking these people, and asking how I can sign up.

The Real Life Superhero Project is a website that tracks costumed "superheroes" who have not blinded themselves to the "simple principles and practice of compassion and goodwill." The whole thing seems a little narcissistic to me, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. But I've met a couple of actual heroes in my time and none of them would ever consider referring to themselves as such. So color me undecided.

Here's how the website describes The Real Life Superhero Project:

Indeed, there is a real subculture of genuine heroes, that bridge the gap between the fantastic and the practical. Anonymous and selfless, they choose every day, to make a difference in the world around them. Whether it be feeding the hungry, comforting the sick, or cleaning up their neighborhoods, they save real lives in very real ways. These are not “kooks in costumes,” as they may seem at first glance. They are, simply put, a radical response… to a radical problem.
Now, we've got a LOT of problems in this country and I can't think of many that can be solved by cosplay. But maybe I'm wrong. There are certainly worse ways to live your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...