Friday, May 14, 2010

The Art of Rocky Horror


This is one of the most unlikely discoveries I'll make this year: a portrait of Tim Curry from The Rocky Horror Picture Show spread over two canvasses.

This wasn't something I stumbled upon online (which wouldn't be all that impressive.) These paintings belong to two friends I recently made and are hanging just a few blocks from my workplace. I live in a really small town in South Carolina which makes the odds of this kind of discovery all the more unlikely.

The paintings are the work of Merissa Jones, an artist in Charlotte, N.C. This photo was taken with my cellphone and the flash was making it difficult to really capture a clear image. There are sequins glued to the painting that you can't see because of the odd angle, and the color looks a little muted here.

I've been trying to decipher the meaning behind the two canvasses. My first instinct was that Frank N. Furter's personality was simply too big to capture on one surface, but that didn't seem right. I'm more inclined to think there's a message here about the conscious and subconscious, or even that the two cancasses show the division of Frank's preoccupying appetites (which are above and below the waistline.)

Or maybe I'm just a pretentious twit and have missed the mark completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...