No offense, but some Star Wars fans are crazy assholes who have gone so far down the rabbit hole of narco-fantasy that they've lost all touch with reality. Don't like the Star Wars prequels? Fine. Move on with your life. That's what healthy, well-adjusted people do.
What healthy, well-adjusted people don't do is spend a decade of their lives on message boards as part of some Punisher-esque quest for moral vengeance and/or superiority. I found the Green Lantern movie to be a serious disappointment, but I don't feel the need to convince people who enjoyed it that they're misguided fools, "apologists" or whatever else the latest meme involves. When you deal with Star Wars fans you often get a quick reminder that "fan" is short for "fanatic" and I've got no patience for Jedi Fundamentalists.
And I understand that blogging about your love of the Star Wars Prequels is the equivalent of walking into a Pentecostal church in rural Mississippi while wearing a "God is Dead" shirt, but so be it.
Which brings me to my point: The Phantom Menace is returning to theaters next month in 3-D, and I can't wait. And Lucasfilm is offering up some interesting paraphernalia to go along with some of these screenings: 3-D glasses that look like Anakin's podracing goggles. Here's the press release:
The first chapter of the Star Wars Saga arrives in theatres for the first time ever in 3D starting February 10, and AMC theatres across the country are celebrating the occasion with plans to make opening weekend one for fans and families to remember!
To mark the return of Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace to theatres, now in immersive 3D, kids, collectors and Star Wars fans of all ages will receive an all-new Hasbro Star Wars Fighter Pod with the purchase of each RealD 3D ticket for Episode I, all weekend long, February 10-12 only at AMC theatres (limit one per ticket, while supplies last).
Additionally, 10 AMC theatres in the United States will host exclusive event screenings in RealD 3D to bring the fun of Star Wars in 3D to life for families and fans. Starting Saturday, Feb. 11 at 11 a.m. local time, select theatres will offer activities, giveaways, and interactive experiences. Fans can expect (while supplies last):
* Exclusive Anakin Skywalker Podracer 3D glasses with ticket purchase, to truly get into the speed and spectacle of 3D Star Wars on the big screen.
* A Hasbro Star Wars FIGHTER PODS collectible toy with RealD 3D ticket purchase
* A LEGO(r) feature area
* Darth Maul face-painting; a chance to reveal your inner Sith Lord at long last!
* Special character appearances for photo opportunities
* Demonstrations of the upcoming Xbox Kinect Star Wars
The 10 participating Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace exclusive event screening theatres are:
- Atlanta: AMC Southlake 24
- Boston: AMC Loews Liberty Tree Mall 20
- Chicago: AMC South Barrington 30
- Denver: AMC Highlands Ranch 24
- Los Angeles: AMC Tustin 14 at The District
- AMC Ontario Mills 30
- New York: AMC Empire 25
- AMC Garden State 16
- Phoenix: AMC Mesa Grand 24
- San Francisco: AMC Emeryville Bay Street 16